Rome

On September 15, 1953, the new generalate house was established in GROTTAFERRATA, in the Albanian Mountains near Rome. The Generalate at that time, under M. Sigillinde Weber, transferred there from the Tutzing Motherhouse. After a larger house was built in 1970, the Generalate transferred to ROME, its present location.

The CASA SANTO SPIRITO offers a home not only to the Generalate and numerous students, but also has a modest guest house in which courses are held and accommodations are offered to Rome tourists traveling privately or on bus tours.

Every year the “Internation Weeks of Encounter” take place here, attended by about 30 sisters from all the priories around the world. During the common renewal program, they visit special holy places in Rome and Italy, and also learn to know and esteem other cultures. Every six years the Congregation’s general chapter is held in this house.

Five communities belong to the Generalate District rather than to one of the priories: Zarevbrod (Bulgaria), Haus St. Benedikt (Germany), Meihekou (China), Jinja (Uganda), Punalur (India)