Key Elements of the MBS Charism
The call to the Missionary Benedictine way of life is one of the many gifts the Holy Spirit gives to the Church to help spread the gospel and make Christ loved and known. As Benedictines and Missionaries, the charism of the MBS is a special blend of these two identities as highlighted below:
- We live the Gospel, rooted inthe Rule of St. Benedict, and our mission is to proclaim the Kingdom of God. Our founder, Father Andreas Amrhein, OSB, wanted to renew the idea of mission in the Benedictine tradition.
- We seek God in Community under a Rule and Superior, pray and work to gether; in mutual service, support and encouragement, we share material and spiritual goods with those in need.
- Our Prayer life is characterized by Liturgy of the Hours, Lectio Divina, and the celebration of the Eucharist in witness to the presence of the Risen Lord.
- We participate in the mission of the Church, proclaiming the Gospel among people who do not know Christ, and where Christ is not sufficiently known, and where the Church is in need.
- We respect and affirm the plurality and diversity in our international congregation.